Tuesday, September 7, 2010

1st day of preschool...

Mason started preschool today, it seems like just yesterday we brought him home from the hospital and I shouldn't be driving him to preschool! He seemed ok all morning until we arrived at school and he wanted Baby Drew (the little boy I watch on Tuesdays) to go with him. Once he got inside he got his name tag and went off with his teacher, never looking back. As I stood there with Eric trying to hold the back tears nothing could have prepared me for how excited, proud, sad and worried I felt for him.



When I returned to the van I read the “gift” that the preschool teachers had prepared for all the parents when we dropped of our children at school for the first time. It read:

“Dearest Preschool Parents,

Here is a little “gift” for you as you leave your precious one with us on the first day of school. As you hold this cotton ball in your hand, the softness will help you to remember the gentle spirit of your child. After you've gone home and dried your tears, make yourself a hot cup of tea, put your feet up and relax. Remember that together we will work for your child to be the best they can be.

Thank you for entrusting your child to us for the coming school year. We will do our very best every day to be your child's guide in learning and exploring this bright, new world they've just stepped into.”

When we returned to pick Mason up, of course I was one of the 1st groups of parents there, he ran out, hugged me and said “mom I had so much FUN – can I go back?” Again I filled up with tears and said sure you can. We talked the whole way home about everything he did. Where does the time go???

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

I have tears too!! You'll probably look back at this years from now and cry again. :)

Anonymous said...

This is just the beginning of tears, happy and sad. I look back over the years, how fast they have gone, before you know it, he will be finishing high school and off to college. You are such good parents, and I have the most wonderful grandsons ever!!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Mason, I am so proud of you! Your mommy and daddy are so proud of you, too! I can't wait to hear all about the red play-dough and all of your new friends at school. I knew you would love school once you got there! If you're happy and you know it, shout "Hooray!"...Hooray! Love, Carrie